Translate

Monday 17 March 2014

Best yield for your space.

 A 3 metre square garden bed challenge has many considerations to take into account. What does one plant to use the space the best? Growing vertically can be ideal if sun permits so beans and peas or cucumbers or zucchinis might be an option. sweet potato which are great producers in Brisbane as a root crop and a healthy green alternative might also be ideal. But I wanted to try something a little different. Brassicas, my chef background had got the better of me and I was intrigued by Kale and its collard cousins. Coming into our Autumn and the start of our cooler months Kale should do very well here, and produce masses of delicious and nutritious leaves for salads and cooking. So for the Autumn come Winter crop I will be trying out these old world favourites.

Seedlings of Russian red, Vates Curly, lacinato, and chou moullier kale have been sown and doing well. I also put down some purple Vienna Kohl rabi, Early purple turnips and a few other less grown brassicas. Its still quite warm here in March but a great time to start them all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment