Translate

Monday 7 April 2014

Red clover, green manure cover crop @ the PCYC community gardens.

This year I have signed on for a plot at the Sandgate PCYC community gardens. Its a good plot gets great sun and the soil although a little under worked looks ok. I added some mushroom compost and some slow release organic fertiliser called organic link made locally by Plant of Health.
I will be planting Morado maize in the bed in October but had no real plans for it until then so I figured I might plant out a green manure crop.  I had done some reading on green manure crops particularly legume nitrogen fixing plants like lucerne and red clover. After doing a little more reading I jumped online and ordered some red clover and lucerne and some specific Rhizobia inoculant from Green Harvest in Maleny. Rhizobia are nitrogen fixing bacteria that become established in the root nodules of legume crops.
A couple weeks ago I sowed the seeds and raked them in, making sure to keep the water to them while they established and now I have  a tiny mat of what looks mostly like red clover and the odd Lucerne and a sprinkling or weeds and volunteer plants. I will let the crop grow until the point of flowering and then top it and let it grow back again. In September I will turn the lot over and let it break down before I plant out my maize in October. There is a bit of nut grass and what not coming up in the bed but at this stage it is imperative to let the clover establish and once it takes hold it will smother out most weeds. I'll keep the photos of the bed updated as I think this is a fantastic way to rest and improve soil structure and quality.


No comments:

Post a Comment