Translate

Monday 17 March 2014

The 3 metre square challenge.

 Like a lot of us I dream of producing food from my own backyard, I am a chef by occupation and have been for the past 18 years, but my real passion is in gardening and of late food production. I'd love to be able to supply my family with fresh vegetables on a regular basis. I have no illusions of grandeur I have neither the time,space or climate to produce all of my fruit and vegetables. I am very interested in how much I can actually produce in a small space. When I talk gardening with people a lot of the time  space seems to be a major concern, so I thought how much could most households allocate for a garden? A lot of people thought 3 metres square was a big space but a space that could be "sacrificed" for food production. 
It got me thinking and I decided that I had to do a test and see just how much produce you can grow in a 3 metre square garden. Firstly I had to build a bed from scratch as that's what everyone would have to do if they were going to suddenly take up gardening.

 We had a spot that got good sun near our back steps and I boxed I had to lift a few pavers and do some turning of some seriously compacted heavy soil but it loosened up nicely. I then boxed the area with sleepers and filled it with mix of a horse manure, mushroom compost sugarcane mulch and garden soil. Giving it a good turn in and water I will now let it settle for about 5 weeks before I plant out our seedlings


The bed is 117cm x 245cm which is under 3metres square but close enough. The soil is fantastic rich with organic matter and approximately 30cm deep. I'm feeling very happy with how its all started.


1 comment:

  1. 30cm + of good of good quality garden soil made up of mushroom compost and various composted manures etc underneath that there is sandy existing soil. Its a new bed so in time I will turn it a little more.

    ReplyDelete