Translate

Monday 4 August 2014

August winds and cold weather.

Well its been a while since I have updated the blog, busy with work and the community farm and family and everything else that comes with modern life.

The gardens are growing well and I have planted out some elephant garlic and a few seedlings for Spring already. The winter corn has tassels and produced some seed for next seasons plant out. The 3 metre bed challenge has yielded me an incredible amount of kale so much so my kids are asking when I will be planting something new in the bed lol. The red clover green cover crop is doing very well as is my now feral patch of stinging nettle (I am now very regretful of my decision to put this in the ground lol.


The lucurne beds that I built have been planted out with red onion and some interesting radish varieties and everything is growing very well.
 I bought ducks.. not just any ducks Muscovy ducks, awesome creatures they have been eating all my garden waste and I have planted a forage garden for them consisting of various lettuce, kale and herbs and other greens.


 I really like Muscovy's as they do not quack at all, are excellent egg producers and great meat birds. Their meat is much leaner then duck as they are more like geese then the standard mallard variety's.

No comments:

Post a Comment