Translate

Friday 11 April 2014

3 metre challenge bed update and bits around the yard.

Well the 3 metre bed is planted out and the seedlings have adjusted, the red Russian kale initially struggled I think the soil may have been too rich in places I lost one seedling which actually turned blue?? Should have gotten a photo. They seem to have grown a little and looking good again. Now to keep the water up and watch out for pest out breaks the weather is muggy still and I find this time of year is notorious for bug and caterpillar population explosions I have already had a lot of aphid and white moth issues to date in other beds in the yard.


In other beds around the yard we have some more mature kale absolutely getting massive, we will have to start eating it before the caterpillars move in. The smaller red Russian leaves will be used as a salad green the bigger leaves can be sautéed with garlic and fresh herbs  or ginger and sweet soy as a side or put through a curry or pasta. Kale is an incredible versatile and nutritious vegetable we all should be eating more of. I have a few early turnip growing really well at the moment, I am going to use these in a vegetarian curry with home grown sweet potato. Turnips are ideal in stews and curries as they suck up so much flavour, I am also not growing enough to get sick of them variety is after all the spice of life.




This last photo is of a very old and lessor grown Kale/ Collard called Chou Moullier more cabbage leaf then Kale but I am hopeful it will do OK here.

No comments:

Post a Comment