Translate

Tuesday 27 May 2014

3 metre bed update

So have been a bit slack keeping updates sorry people. The 3 metre bed of various kale cultivars is pumping, supplying my family all they can eat plus we are giving quite a lot away to friends. Were eating some in a morning juice, using small leaves as salad leaves, and some as wilted greens with garlic ginger and soy being the most popular way to cook out.


 The kids eat it, my wife and I love it and the neighbours keep trying to buy it off me. If in doubt over the winter months get some kale in. From our bed we have had no issue with bitterness or woody stems, its been very positive experience. I have also pulled some eggplant and planted out a selection of garlic and leeks.

Not holding my breath with the garlic however will see if I can get some bulbs, I have grown leeks before and I am looking forward to these. This time I grew the leek from seeds a musselbough hardy Scottish variety. They are really slow from seed so stay patient.
This is one of my favourite times of year to grow, a lot of the temperate plants that won't make it in our humid summer really love it here in Brisbane right now. But all of the tropical plants are still doing great in this long hot spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment